Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Porthole - Wild Card


Are you ready for yet another Cricut 'Wild Card'? I was playing around with the 'Porthole' card on page 55. The top card is my first attempt at the card, pretty simple. For this card I cut out the card in blackout mode in cream cardstock. Next I made my own liner in pink by tracing the outer flap onto pink cardstock (and cutting by hand). Then I cut out the 'Liner' -- the only problem with this liner is that you can't cut it out in blackout mode and I didn't want the window. So to eliminate the window I had to hand cut my own liner too.

The hearts are hand embossed from old Lasting Impressions brass stencils. The leaves are made with a Martha Stewart punch.

By the way I found out that this card will fit into a standard A2 envelope if cut at 5 3/4".



Well I had the top card sitting on my desk for couple days - thinking to myself 'pretty plain'. I have been trying to challenge myself by incorporating more pattern paper, as I generally graduate towards plain cardstock. So this is what I came up with on my second attempt! Quiet fussy, but it is growing on me.

To make the 'Ruffled' edge -- I used pink paper streamers (trimmed down to 1 inch wide). I simply took the paper streamer and ran it thru my sewing machine. I used the biggest stitch I had, and then pulled on the strings to gather and ruffle the streamer - done! I then glued the ruffle onto the inside flap. I also tried to make the inside of the card pretty and conceal the glue and ruffled mess - I cut a plain cream 'Liner' and glued this into the inside flap.

9 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I have been thinking of picking up that cartridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhhhhh, Thats a very cute cute card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Wild Card you made! Both are great.
    I have that cart, better get it out again and try some of those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cards are beautiful, Shelly. I love the ruffles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think that your first card is boring at all, it is so beautiful. Love it so much. I agree with needed to be brave and use more patterened paper. I think about that often, how I just don't do well using it. Good luck and great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cards! Love the first one.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card, loved the ruffle and thanks
    for explaning how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your ruffle technique. Beautiful versions of the card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh...too cute...love the extra ruffle effect you decided to add. TFS

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...