Well I am back from vacation - we went to Nebraska to visit my family. I really enjoyed the trip, but it sure feels good to be home (sleeping in my own bed). The trip really had me missing the tall corn and the big sky. I grew up on a dairy farm in central Nebraska, and there nothing like sitting outside and watching the sun come up over the corn field. Don't get me wrong, I don't miss the milk cows (well, maybe during calving season).
I came home late Monday afternoon to a garden full of veggies! I have been picking beans, cucumbers, pepers, tomatoes, and zuchinni (I have a zuchinni the size of a baseball bat - agh). Between unpacking, doing laundry, and canning; I managed to make a couple cards ...
I know, it is strange to be working on valentine cards in the middle of July! I was at my local scrapbook store and they had a package of Anna Griffin Valentine papers on sale (score - half price). So when I got home I felt inspired to work with the pretty papers.
All three of these cards are made with the same card sketch, not too original. Guess I need to find some new sketches!!
I made the hearts out of metal - using my Cricut machine, SCAL, and the CRI-Kits embossing tool. This particular heart I spray painted white and sanded the surface to expose the embossing.
I left this swirly heart plain - I was really tempted to paint it, but in the end I liked the contrast of the silver. If you would like to have the SVG for this swirly heart CLICK HERE.
EDIT: I had a good question on how I embossed and cut the Swirl Heart SVG, so I thought I would take the time to answer.
1. Replace the blade in your Cricut machine with the CRI-Kits Embosser Tool. Place metal on CRI-Kits embossing mat and load the mat into the Cricut machine.
2. 'Import' the SVG into Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL) and size it accordingly.
3. In SCAL hit the 'Cut' button to embossed the heart onto the metal.
4. After embossing, hit the 'LOAD' button on your Cricut machine. Replace the regular blade back into the Cricut machine.
5. Then in SCAL, 'selected' the heart. And turn on the ' Shadow and Blackout' which is in the pop-up menu on the right hand side under Apperance. This will now show the heart as a solid heart.
6. In SCAL hit the 'Cut' button, and your regular cricut blade will cut out this embossed swirly heart. You can cut directly on the CRI-Kits embossing mat!