Wednesday, July 21, 2010

valentine cards

Well I am back from vacation - we went to Nebraska to visit my family. I really enjoyed the trip, but it sure feels good to be home (sleeping in my own bed). The trip really had me missing the tall corn and the big sky. I grew up on a dairy farm in central Nebraska, and there nothing like sitting outside and watching the sun come up over the corn field. Don't get me wrong, I don't miss the milk cows (well, maybe during calving season).

I came home late Monday afternoon to a garden full of veggies! I have been picking beans, cucumbers, pepers, tomatoes, and zuchinni (I have a zuchinni the size of a baseball bat - agh). Between unpacking, doing laundry, and canning; I managed to make a couple cards ...


I know, it is strange to be working on valentine cards in the middle of July! I was at my local scrapbook store and they had a package of Anna Griffin Valentine papers on sale (score - half price). So when I got home I felt inspired to work with the pretty papers.

All three of these cards are made with the same card sketch, not too original. Guess I need to find some new sketches!!


I made the hearts out of metal - using my Cricut machine, SCAL, and the CRI-Kits embossing tool. This particular heart I spray painted white and sanded the surface to expose the embossing.
I left this swirly heart plain - I was really tempted to paint it, but in the end I liked the contrast of the silver. If you would like to have the SVG for this swirly heart CLICK HERE.



EDIT: I had a good question on how I embossed and cut the Swirl Heart SVG, so I thought I would take the time to answer.

1. Replace the blade in your Cricut machine with the CRI-Kits Embosser Tool. Place metal on CRI-Kits embossing mat and load the mat into the Cricut machine.
2. 'Import' the SVG into Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL) and size it accordingly.
3. In SCAL hit the 'Cut' button to embossed the heart onto the metal.
4. After embossing, hit the 'LOAD' button on your Cricut machine. Replace the regular blade back into the Cricut machine.
5. Then in SCAL, 'selected' the heart. And turn on the ' Shadow and Blackout' which is in the pop-up menu on the right hand side under Apperance. This will now show the heart as a solid heart.
6. In SCAL hit the 'Cut' button, and your regular cricut blade will cut out this embossed swirly heart. You can cut directly on the CRI-Kits embossing mat!

10 comments:

  1. TFS Shelly! Love your cards too!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home Shelly!!!!! I love these cards....I believe my favorite is the last one!!!! Hope you had a wonderful vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cards, Shelly. They are sooo elegant.
    Welcome home, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cutting category today [22 Jul 12:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! And thanks for sharing the file.
    Cindy
    Up In Northern Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cards and a great way to use scraps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cards are an excellent example to show people they might really like the embossing pen. I haven't taken the plunge, but your cards are now getting me itchy for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. downloaded the swirl heart, but it doesn't quite look like yours...looks like you some how did a double or shadow...could you explain...very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all your metal embellishments, it seems out of my league though! LOL ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this card. I just wish i had seen some of these when I was doing scrapbooks for my boys. I bought alot of metal things. Now i can do it. Thank You Shelly for the file as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...