Sunday, October 17, 2010

Rosettes


While completing my October Calendar, I made several paper rosettes. Seems like you will see these rosettes everywhere on paper crafting blogs! So I tried my hand at making some. I soon got very frustrated having to use a score board and scoring these strips of paper. After about three rosettes - I decided there should be an easier way. I ended up made a cutfile with my Sure Cuts A Lot for my Cricut. And to make all those tiny scorelines -- I used my CRI-Kits embosser tool! If you would like to download the files, just scroll to the end of this post.


Here are the complete steps to use these rosette files ...

1. First put paper onto your embossing mat and load into Cricut Machine.
2. Replace Cricut blade with Embossing Tool (use pointy end)
3. In SCAL - open Rosette file
4. Turn off the 'CUT' layer. (just Click on the eyeball in the layer menu next to layer)
5. Turn up the pressure on the Cricut Machine
6. Cut the scorelines with your embosser. Note you may want to 'Multicut' heavy paper to get deeper scorelines!
7. Replace the Embosser Tool with the blade and turn down the pressure on the Cricut.
8. Turn off the 'Scoreline' layer and turn on 'Cut' layer (click on eyeballs again)
9. Cut the cut lines
10. Unload paper from Cricut.

To Assemble the rosettes ...

Take your strip of paper and fold along the scored lines, - accordian style.

Adhere the ends of the paper strip together - I used a zig glue pen.


Gently push the paper down to form a cirle. At this point, I glued a small circle of cardstock onto the backside of the rosette to hold its form. You will want to use a fast drying glue - I used Beacon's 3-in-1 glue. I first tried Glue Dots - but found the rosettes that were made out of heavier paper needed a different glue.


SCUT2 Files - click on highlighted text to download files

I am sharing these cut files in a SCUT2 form instead of the traditional SVG. I am doing this because I designed the files in SCAL not Inkscape - due to the score lines being open ended. If you wish to change the size of the file, simply go to the 'Edit' function from the top menu and hit the 'Select All'. Then go to the Property box on the right hand side and type in the size desired in the Height box. A taller height will result in a bigger rosette.




19 comments:

  1. Shelly that looks AWESOME ma'am!!!! GREAT JOB!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow these look beautiful, Thanks for sharing your creative talents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so loving rosettes now! I just made a spider with one, see pictures on my blog www.cricutcraftclare.blogspot.com. I was just wanted a svg, but have no time. So THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I am wondering what glue you use? I have found my hot glue gun is the bomb for these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm - never thought of hot glue? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the GREAT files! I use hot glue also and LOVE it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the files, can't wait for a few spare minutes to try these out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these flowers but don't have any fancy gadgets, so scoring board it is for me! karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your rosettes and would love to make them but I can't figure out how to change the SCAL file to SVG or MTC. I've looked all over for a tutorial. Do you know where to find out this info? If so I sure would love to know where. Thanks for sharing. Smiles Carolyn
    ladychamp@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exactly what I've been looking for! Thanks so much for the cut files and the simple directions.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no idea how to change SCAL into SVG. I tried to design these files in Inkscape but I could not as the score lines are open ended. Inkscape doesn't like open ended segments. sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can "import" the scut file into MTC. I did so with the scalloped rosette. (I recently made some rosette files myself but didn't do a scallop). :-) You will only have a few score lines so remove them all but the first one. Then highlight it and right click and choose duplicate and a box will open. Put in 56 duplicates and set the spacing (Inches) to .2 (that's point two).
    To make it an svg file simply "export" as an svg file. HTH!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shelly - What beautiful designs! I tried to download the rosette cut files but I got a message that the link has been removed. =( Can I get the files anywhere else? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute! I also tried to download the files but I am getting the message about the link being removed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ditto on the file not being available. These are adorable, Shelly! I will try my hand at designing some myself. Are you offering your cut files free for a week, then for sale after that? As always, love your site. It's so great to be back in the loop again! :o)
    Laura
    http://cricutcard-iologist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry that I put the wrong blog address it is cricutcraftyclare.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! so cute flowers i don,t like it i love it really beautiful flowers thank.s for so nice post.Pakistan flowers

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also tried to get the fike but can't. help? Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't download...words say it isn't there. Boo Hoo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...