Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cricut Magazine

The new Cricut Magazine (published by Northridge Media) is out and in newsstands. I have been anxiously awaiting my copy in the mail, because I had two cards included.

Here is the first card, a birthday card. The card uses the 'Celebration' Cricut cartridge, Stampendous stamp, and K & Company paper. It is a quick and easy 10 minute card!


Below is a Wedding Invitaion that was also included in the publication. This card was made with Sure Cuts A Lot, CRI-Kits gel pens, Dover Publications images, black and white paper from Bazzill Basics Company, and a metallic patterned paper from The Paper Company.

I was a little saddened when I saw this card in print. Don't get me wrong - it is always fun to see your card in a magazine. But sadly some of the supply details were left off and I know that I submitted a complete supply list!

I realize that the magazine is published in conjunction with Provo Craft, and Provo Craft probably doesn't want people to know about its competitors. My problem with this is - WHY? I own several Provo Craft items (Cricut, and Cuttlebug) and enjoy using them. But when I found the software program Sure Cuts A Lot, I went from LIKING my Cricut machine to LOVING my Cricut! The ability to design and cut out my own designs is great - and has opened so many more possibilities with my Cricut machine!

My question is WHY does Provo Craft not want people to use a software that will expand the abilities of their Cricut machine? They may be worried that people will no longer buy cartridges - that is not true. I may not buy any FONT cartridges - but I still buy the shape cartridges. As long as Provo Craft comes out with good cartridges, I will buy them. There are plenty of times that I need a quick card (like the first birthday card above), and it is easy to pop in a cartridge and make a card in 15 minutes. Also if they are afraid of competition from Sure Cuts A Lot, then why not come out with their own software that does the same thing?

I have come to the conclusion, (while I love my Cricut and use it almost daily), that when my 3 year old Cricut finally breaks down I will not buy a new one! Instead I will look for a different cutting machine that supports people that design their own items! There are plenty of other cutting machines and I will be looking into them!

15 comments:

  1. Your cards are beautiful! I'm with you and don't understand the mentality of companies that are actually discouraging people from using their products. I look forward to seeing more made with your SCAL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly, wonderful cards and I have to totally agree with your reasoning. Might I suggest the KnK. I love mine and I have one of the older models. It can do so much and with your talent there is no limit. Continue creating it's good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silly me I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS on being published!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Shelly. How exciting and so deserving!

    Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!!! I understand how sad you feel, because many would like to be able to replicate or do something similar like the SCAL card. They're the ones losing our support.

    A loyal fan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cards. Too bad Provo Craft is so short sighted. I'm with you. Having SCAL makes the Cricut so much more versatile.
    Cindy
    www.creativepointe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your cards! and congrats on being published, I also wanted to say I so agree with you on Provocraft's "issues" with 3ed party software. In my opinion they should ignore it if they can't embrace it. As an owner of both SCAL2 and MTC I still own over 70 cartridges, like you I do not buy font carts ( I do have two though) So they aren't losing money!! I was recently told by a friend who attended CHA that PC is planning a frimware update that will make the third party software no longer work on Cricuts!They have no idea how many customers they stand to lose!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! I absolutely agree with you on the SCAL issue. I've had my Cricut Expression since it first came out in the NEtherlands in October 2007. Love it to bits. BUT, I also would think about buying a different machine. Especially if what Tammy says is true and the firmware update would make third party software no longer work on it. That would probably make me sell all my cartridges (I have about 20, in Europe they are so much more expensive and it's still quite expensive to order them from the US) and look for a different machine which is more customer friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on being published!
    ProvoCraft cannot do any testing on any 3rd party products so legally they cannot endorse (or embrace) them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on being published, I have the magazine and loved your 2 cards when I saw them. I already had book marked them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your cards! ProvoCraft knows that the more we know about SCAL the less we will buy cartridges! It's a fact. It is called competition. I think the real shame is the cost of their cartridges. I do love my Cricut and I love SCAL, but I don't own that many carts. Can't afford them and truthfully, don't need them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work Shelly and congratulations on being published. Sorry anonymous poster (Feb. 13 @ 2:13 pm), but PC could test and embrace 3rd party software if they wanted to or even license them - they choose not to and offer an inferior software product. There is nothing legally preventing them from doing so. Like Shelly - for a long time - I had SCAL and Make the Cut (MTC) but still bought cartridges (I have a ton plus a Gypsy and 2 bugs). I recently quit buying because of this issue, and because I don't need them with MTC and SCAL on my computer and now I don't plan to replace my Cricuts when they die. If looking for an alternative to the Cricut machines I would suggest the black cat cougars as an awesome machine that will work with a variety of software including MTC right out of the box. There are distributors in the US, England, and Australia. Great heavy duty machines with GREAT customer service. Also, MTC can now work with a variety of other different cutters as well - and that list is growing all the time along with all the wonderful features that Andy, the developer, keeps adding to it. I thank Todd (SCAL developer) and Andy for making Cricuts so much more usable but will not be locked into PC's stringent mentality anymore. Lots of other cutters out there - do the research and find the one that works for you! I did and couldn't be happier with my Cougar! I am not affiliated with MTC or the Black Cat Cougars - just a very happy customer who wants to make sure everyone knows there are lots of choices out there that will allow you to use YOUR imagination! Congrats again Shelly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If and when PC updates their firmware, I will be looking at other machines. And I just got my Cricut Expression, and if they change the firmware, I will have wasted a bunch of money. (Just when is this selfish company going to change the firmware?) They (PC) are so selfish ... if they own Cricut Design Studio, they need to update it so it can be operated on Windows 7. Of course, if you don't use Cricut Design Studio, than it's possible you can continue to use the Cricut machine with SCAL and Make the Cut which I have both and enjoy both. I'm only saying that because the firmware is changed through Cricut Design Studio software. We'll see...just hope I didn't waste the money...but than again, I don't have that kind of money for Cougar!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with your comments on PC. I too have decided that once my E bites the dust, I will look for a different machine...by that time, someone should be able to figure out how we can use our cartridges on a different machine. Look out provo, some creative genius is out there who can do just that...we just need to find them...and tell them our needs. Mary in Hong Kong

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...